Friday, August 20, 2010

Moon Farm

We had heard of this place a few times, out here in Fruita, as having lots of different miniature buildings and things for kids to play in. The concept sounds good, but being there was a different story. I should have known when I googled it and couldn't even find a website, and the number I called had a terrible sounding connection. I got enough to hear it was open from 10-5.

I talked my friend and her little boy into "trying" out a new place, and if she hadn't been with me, I probably would't have gotten out of the car. We drove out there (about 18 1/2 and M Rd.) and as we pull into the parking lot we see some dinosaur statues, an old bus and merry-go-round, a ton of buildings, both big and small, some in good shape, some in not-so-good shape, and not ONE other soul in sight.  We cautiously decide to get out and see if we can find the "entrance." We came to the main house and saw a little box with a sign on it, something to this effect: "Had to go into town, please put your money in the box." After figuring out we only had to pay for my friend and I ($4 for anyone over 4 yrs.) we lifted the lid and slipped our money in.

To keep a long story short, from then on, we carefully crept from building to building, pretty much rushing the boys along the whole time and saying "don't touch that!!" We were grossed out by spiders and disturbed by all of the old dolls and mannequins inhabiting each place. If you ever manage to end up here DO NOT look in the giant shoe. Just trust me. And, oh, we didn't even dare to open the door to the "clown house".

Now, I do feel completely awful for giving a negative review, but I think it's only fair. So I'll try to point out a few pluses. I started off with a nice picture below because there were a few "nicer" buildings around. Also, we were AMAZED at how many nick-knacks and real artifacts they had in some of the buildings (think fossils, cool Egyptian pieces). This is a place that had tons of heart and soul put into it, and was at one time an amazing place for kids to come learn and use their imagination to it's fullest potential.  I hope the valuable pieces one day find their purpose again.

If you decide to check it out, I think they are closed Sundays. The number I called was 970-858-7176.

Like I said, I started off with a pretty picture, but had to throw in some of the odd images you'll come across at Moon Farm... ;)


Pretty little house.



"Granny's cabin"


Inside the castle


5 comments:

  1. I went to Moon farm as a kid from 1984-87. Back then it was a day camp where a bus would pick us up from Grand Junction every day in the summer. It is one of my fondest memories growing up. We played in the little houses, chased animals, rode horses and swam from sun up to sun down. We were wild and carefree. The people there were so good to us and genuinely loved what they did. They understood that a child needs to explore and use their imaginations. I can't describe to you what that place means to me now. I moved out of Colorado in 88 to live in Michigan and people here don't believe me when I tell them about the daycare I used to go to as a kid. We were children running wild without a care in the world. There is nothing like that for kids anymore. It has to be big, extravagant and expensive. I say turn them lose to chase peacocks and to be the carefree children they are supposed to be. Not to have Mommy chase them around to make sure they don't soil their clothes or bump their knee. You didn't like the place because it is 'outdated" but Did you ask your kids what they thought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment! As I said, I do believe it was once something special, but the feel of it now was just a little off. I am glad you have nice memories, it is good to know what Moon Farm once offered. I DO wish there were more carefree, wild and open places for our children to enjoy today! Trust me, I am all for that. I appreciate your memories, because you're right, those experiences are hard to come by these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard this place was pretty cool in the 80s and early 90's. I have heard many stories. I was told they had some issues within the family and it sounded like it was falling into disrepair. So sad to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Moon Farm as a child in the early 80's. Just like the first poster said... it was an amazing place back then, and is also one of my fondest childhood memories. We had soooo much fun there! Riding horses, chasing peacocks and bunny rabbits, getting in the spaceship, going to the saloon, the pool, etc. Even back then there was the creepy doll house and clown house, and even as a kid we thought they were a little bit scary.... but still fun! Now I have a couple of children of my own and wish so much that I could take them someplace like Moon Farm. There were costumes for us to play dress up, we had fashion shows, and many girls took tap dancing classes in the basement. So fun. There were cherry trees that we would sit under and eat our lunch. I remember one of the Moons daughters (DiAnn) and I really looked up to her. I thought she was so pretty. She was a great dancer and baton twirler. It was just a really neat, one of a kind place. I wish I could go back someday to re-live some memories.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I intend to thanks for posting such an educational blog site. As well as will await your following blog post.
    Click Here : farm tractors for sale 385 85HP 4X4

    ReplyDelete